The Israeli occupation forces at daybreak Monday said an overnight operation targeted the Quds Force of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards, as well as Syrian air defenses.
Syrian media said most of the Israeli missiles had been shot down.
Israel claimed it acted after the Quds Forces launched a rocket from Syria over the Golan Heights on Sunday.
The Israeli military also said that “dozens of Syrian surface-to-air missiles were launched, despite clear warnings to avoid such fire”.
Syria’s state-run Sana news agency quoted a military source as saying that the country’s air defenses had shot down most of “hostile missiles”.
Russia’s defense control centre was quoted by Interfax news agency as saying that Syrian military air defenses destroyed more than 30 Israeli cruise missiles and guided bombs during the raids.
An attack targeting an airport in southeastern Damascus killed four Syrian soldiers and wounded six, the military centre was quoted by RIA news agency as saying on Monday,
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a UK-based monitor, said the toll of the raids was 11.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu issued a warning during his visit to Chad on Sunday.
“We have a set policy, to target the Iranian entrenchment in Syria, and to harm whoever tried to harm us,” he said.